Our owner and chef, Serge Krikorian, has been asked to be a regular guest chef on KARK 4 News on their Monday show. In case you cannot watch him during the day, we want to make sure you have the tools to make the recipe we share on the show a success in your kitchen.
Cheesy Cajun Shrimp & Grits
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup instant Quaker grits
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a small pot.
- Pour in the grits and whip them in the chicken broth with a wire whisk. Continue to cook and stir until all of the liquid is absorbed, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in cream, butter, and cheddar and continue to cook and stir until butter is melted and cheddar is incorporated, about 1-2 minutes.
NOTE: Different brands of instant grits have a different liquid to grits ration.
- 1 lbs. Peeled and Deveined Shrimp
- ½ Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- ½ Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- ½ Cup Whole Kernel Corn
- 4 Tbls. Unsalted Butter, divided
- 1 Tbls. Cajun Seasoning, recipe below
- ½ Cup Chicken Stock
- Melt 2 Tbls. butter in a large skillet.
- Add both bell peppers and the corn to the skillet and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Melt the remaining 2 Tbls. of butter in the pan and then add the shrimp and the Cajun Seasoning. Cook and stir until shrimp turn pink and is cooked through, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove everything from the skillet and return the skillet to medium heat. Add the chicken stock to the skillet, scraping up the small bits on the bottom of the pan. Allow the stock to reduce slightly, about 1 minute.
Spoon 1/4 of the grits into the center of a plate, top with 1/4 of the shrimp mixture and 1/4 of the sauce. Garnish with diced green onions.
- 6 Tbls Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Ground Red Pepper
- 2 Tbls Garlic Powder
- 4 tsp Dried Oregano
- 4 tsp Dried Thye
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Ground White Pepper
- 1 tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Ground Nutmeg
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Store in an airtight container.